Water Heater Accidents: Everything you need to know
Winter is here! With a drop in degrees, the demand for heaters is going steadily up. Unfortunately with the rise in the usage of heaters, hence the accidents related to them are also on the rise. In this article, we list out the factors that cause water heater accidents and the ways to prevent them.
The use of electric water heaters must be in accordance with safety requirements and avoid a short circuit or an explosion. To avoid any accident or misfortune, it is preferable to change the heater every five years.
Factors that cause explosion in water heaters
Even though there are various types of heating methods, however the electric heaters remain the most popular because of its convenience. However, it comes with certain risks like a water heater explosion.
The most common factors that cause water heater explosions are:
- Usage of faulty and old heaters without proper safety instructions.
- A malfunction or damage in the electrical indicator (thermostat) causes the heat to continue without stopping. In addition to that, a blockage or damage to the safety valve will allow water and steam to leak.
- When thermostat is set at a higher temperature: The heater wall cannot withstand pressure resulting from the extra heat and this leads to an explosion.
- Failure of automatic circuit breaker.
- Negligence of necessary periodic maintenance by experienced professionals.
How to avoid water heater accidents?
Even though water heater accidents are dangerous, it can be prevented by following these safety measures:
- Hire experienced and authorized professionals to do installation and maintenance of water heaters.
- Maintain the temperature indicator within 60-70 degree Celsius.
- Make sure that there are no blocks in any valves and the water is flowing smoothly.
- Keep track of the usage of your heater and never miss any regular check-up.
- Disconnect the electrical current supply from the heater when not in use.
- Never leave your house with the heater working.
Tips to keep in mind
It is highly advised to conduct a comprehensive examination of your heater before entering winter. While hiring a technician for maintenance, keep the following tips in mind:
- Make sure to check the integrity of the wires, connections, and the electric plunger.
- Be sure that the heater body is clean from the inside and outside.
- Check the integrity of the water heater rod. If it’s noticed that the water is hot, it’s preferable to repair the heater or replace it.
For all your plumbing related issues,
Call Our Toll Free No: 800 4236
Visit US: www.clairvoyantuae.com